How Long do I Keep Dogs Off the Grass After Pesticides

By Mike

February 16, 2021

Pets are an excellent addition to any family, and one of their favorite places is their backyard where they can run and play. It is our duty to make sure that our pets have all they need to keep them safe and healthy. Many people turn to pesticides to keep insects and other pests away from their homes, but it’s essential to remember to take care of your family and pets.

If you have decided to spray pesticides on your yard, many companies recommend waiting for at least forty-eight hours before letting your pets back on the freshly sprayed lawn. Letting your dog on your lawn before a forty-eight-hour timespan can open up your family and your pet to many health issues.

This article will dive into why it’s essential to keep your pets off the lawn after it has been sprayed with pesticides and how long to wait before you let them back on the lawn.

How Long Should I Keep Dogs Off the Grass After Spraying Pesticide?

Pesticides and your pets are a terrible combination and have been known to lead to severe problems, including cancer. Pesticides have been known to stay on grass for up to 48 hours, so keeping your dog off the grass for at least two days will help you keep you and your family safe.

If your pet is one that will eat the grass in your lawn, then choosing to stay away from pesticides completely is your best bet. There are far too many studies that point to pesticides causing various detrimental issues to your family or your pets.

Many people point to organic fertilizers to keep your family safe, but products such as bone meal attract your pets to it and cause similar issues. If you are deciding that you genuinely need pesticides for your yard, you have to take the necessary precautions to protect your pets.

How Long Does Pesticide Last on Grass?

There are multiple factors that can affect the lifespan of a pesticide spray, and they should all be considered when spraying on your yard.

Temperatures

Temperatures and climate can cause pesticides to last longer or wear off quickly. Spraying pesticides on a dewy morning mean it will take longer to dry.

Precipitation

Spraying pesticides right before a rain shower can cause any pesticides to be washed away which would compromise how effective it is and may cause to have to apply more.

While there are multiple factors that can affect the pesticides you apply, being intentive to both will make sure your animals don’t roll in or ingest any pesticides. There are different studies that show 24 hours is enough time to stay off of grass after pesticide, while others have found pesticides in dogs’ urine 48 hours after it has been applied. Keeping your dogs and children away from pesticide-treated areas for at least 48 hours is a wise decision.

How Long to Keep Dogs Off Grass After Pesticides?

What Happens if My Dog Comes in Contact With Pesticides?

You’ve sprayed your yard with pesticides, but now you need to be concerned with your pets and whether or not they come in contact with it. Pesticides are as detrimental to pets as they are to humans, so protecting your pets from any pesticide application is imperative.

Just like humans, if pets come into contact with pesticides, they can get a rash, nausea, eye irritations, and more. Another issue your pets can run into is if they lick their fur after coming in contact with pesticides. If they lick any part of their fur that has pesticides on them, then it can quickly and easily enter their bodies and cause breathing issues and other problems.

Here are some issues that dogs can have from ingesting or coming into contact with pesticides:

  • Breathing problems
  • Respiratory issues
  • Eye irritation
  • Vomiting
  • Skin rash
  • Cancer

Besides that, if your pets roll in or get in contact with a pesticide, then they can quickly bring it into your own home. The problem is that if they bring it inside, they can track it all over your home and furniture and put you and your family in danger.

If your dog comes into contact with pesticides, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. There are also some precautions you can take if your home has been recently sprayed with pesticides. Keep your dog or pet away from the area for at least 48 hours, and make sure to rinse off your pet’s paws before they enter the house.

What Steps to Take if Your Dog Comes in Contact with Pesticides?

Take Necessary Precautions

The first and most important step is to try your best to keep your pets away from contact with pesticides. Choosing a different area for them to play or even taking them to the dog park to burn off some energy is a great idea. You can also choose to have a family member take your dogs until your yard is safe for them again.

Consult your Veterinarian

Everywhere you search on the internet, you will find all kinds of natural cures to pesticide poisoning, but in order to protect your pets, you should contact your veterinarian. Pesticides, including herbicides and insecticides, are nothing to mess around with when it comes to your pets or your family. Depending on how much pesticide they have been in contact with, they could need to have their stomach pumped or put on specific medicine.

When you take them to the vet, the veterinarian will do a complete and thorough check of your pet’s blood work, respiratory system, and more. If you are unsure whether or not your pet ingested pesticides, you should always play on the safe side and take them to the vet. Veterinarians are trained to look for toxicity signs and figure out what exactly your dog needs to get rid of any pesticides in their bodies.

There are various steps that your veterinarian will take to ensure your pet is completely free of any poison within their body. If they have come into contact with any pesticides on their skin or fur, your vet will likely give them a bath to ensure it does not cause any rashes or skin irritations. Your veterinarian will also likely give your pet activated charcoal to absorb any toxins in your pets body. Lastly, if your pet ingested pesticides then they are likely extremely dehydrated and will be given an IV or fluids to get them hydrated again.

Consulting your veterinarian quickly and efficiently is your most imperative step to get your pet healthy again.

Conclusion

If you decide to treat your yard with pesticides, you must always be mindful of your pets and children. Pesticides can stay on the grass and cause a problem for your pets within forty-eight hours of being sprayed.

If you are wondering about the specific pesticide you want to use, you can always reach out to the specific company and get answers from them. No matter how you decide to treat your yard, leaving your pets to roam freely on a recently sprayed yard can be detrimental to their health and put your family in harm.

About the author

Hi I'm Mike! I'm the owner, writer, and sometimes editor of Foundedproject.com. Being a new homeowner can be a little daunting, which is why I created this blog. I write about problems that a new home owner might run into. 

Related Posts

Subscribe now to get the latest updates!